• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 auntieboo

auntieboo

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Would we be crazy/cruel/fill-in-the-blank, to name dd#3 Mary Alice, when our last name is Mack? :D Brutal honesty appreciated. Many thanks!

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

I don't think so. It's not like that nursery rhyme has anything bad in it. I think Mary Alice is a beautiful name.

#3 auntieboo

auntieboo

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

I don't think so. It's not like that nursery rhyme has anything bad in it. I think Mary Alice is a beautiful name.

Wow, thank you! Not the answer I expected. Hmmm... Maybe I'm hyper-sensitive about it. It goes *perfectly* with our daughters' names -- others do, too, but, well, there's something about "Mary" that is striking me as "the one" for this baby.

Let's see if there are any dissenting opinions...

Thanks so much, Katie-Nana!

#4 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Would we be crazy/cruel/fill-in-the-blank, to name dd#3 Mary Alice, when our last name is Mack? :D Brutal honesty appreciated. Many thanks!

I agree 100% with Katie.
Mary Alice is a lovely name. And frankly [:blush:] I had not even heard that nursery rhyme..

Mary Alice Mack is a beautiful name and if you think it's the one, by ALL means, go for it! :)

#5 auntieboo

auntieboo

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

I agree 100% with Katie.
Mary Alice is a lovely name. And frankly [:blush:] I had not even heard that nursery rhyme..

Mary Alice Mack is a beautiful name and if you think it's the one, by ALL means, go for it! :)

Wow, thank you so much for your help! I'm so (pleasantly!) surprised by these reactions! I guess my husband and I are being overly sensitive -- in addition to dating ourselves. :D Funny, b/c I've run the name by a few other people, and they had the same positive reactions as well -- not at all what I expected.

Excellent. Thank you soooooooo much for your help! Looks like we FINALLY have a winner. Whew!!!

#6 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Wow, thank you so much for your help! I'm so (pleasantly!) surprised by these reactions! I guess my husband and I are being overly sensitive -- in addition to dating ourselves. :D Funny, b/c I've run the name by a few other people, and they had the same positive reactions as well -- not at all what I expected.

Excellent. Thank you soooooooo much for your help! Looks like we FINALLY have a winner. Whew!!!

You're so very welcome.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your other children's names?

Listen, there's always going to be people who don't have the same taste or opinion as you, but that shouldn't matter!
If you and your husband love the name and you think it's the one, USE IT!
Don't let other people bring it down or make you think otherwise.
Mary Alice is wonderful :), I think.

#7 auntieboo

auntieboo

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

You're so very welcome.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your other children's names?

Listen, there's always going to be people who don't have the same taste or opinion as you, but that shouldn't matter!
If you and your husband love the name and you think it's the one, USE IT!
Don't let other people bring it down or make you think otherwise.
Mary Alice is wonderful :D, I think.

Thank you for the advice; you are right. We just don't want her name to be a burden to her; we want it to be something she will love. Her older sisters are Grace and Eve.

#8 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for the advice; you are right. We just don't want her name to be a burden to her; we want it to be something she will love. Her older sisters are Grace and Eve.

Awe, well, most kids go through a phase where they hate their name and wish it was something else!
Hey, I still dislike mine! I wished I had a more common name that people could pronounce! Didn't help that my twin sister's name was the most popular name the year we were born.

Can I just say, you have AMAZING taste?
Grace is my top choice if I ever have a girl. And Eve is just precious!

Mary will fit right in. :D

#9 auntieboo

auntieboo

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Awe, well, most kids go through a phase where they hate their name and wish it was something else!
Hey, I still dislike mine! I wished I had a more common name that people could pronounce! Didn't help that my twin sister's name was the most popular name the year we were born.

Can I just say, you have AMAZING taste?
Grace is my top choice if I ever have a girl. And Eve is just precious!

Mary will fit right in. :D

You are so sweet (thanks for the compliment!) -- and soooooo right again -- thank you! I'm not crazy about my name, either. Maybe that's why I care so much...

You've been most helpful! Now I just have to convince my husband that it's OK. :) It's helpful to know that many people haven't even heard of the children's rhyme/song in the first place, and don't make the connection.

#10 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Well, that being said, I grew up in the Middle East and moved to London around the age where nursery rhymes just weren't really the thing any more.
So saying that I don't know it isn't exactly a surprise. :D

Convince him, please! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users