10 replies to this topic

#1 Aliame

Aliame

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

I'm writing to you all, to see how others think about the situation. We are coming up with Girl and Boy names... but my husband and i have some very different tastes.
We have gone through the top 1,000 boy and girls name list and have a short list of 2 boy names (a single, and then for twins) and only one name for a girl. The problem is our number 1 name (also a family name for me) is Gabriel=Gabe=Gay which is bad enough... but our last name only MAGNIFIES it. Gabriel (Last name is a name that means love). At first it didnt seem so bad until you start saying teasing sayings and it just gets worse from there*sighs*

I dont want to curse my kid. But i and my husband love this name and i can't help what my husbands last name is. Kids will find a name or a physical feature to pick on if they want to. Doesnt matter how normal looking you are or your name, if they dont like you, they'll find something. It's just that i dont want to set up my kid for failure. We don't plan on calling him Gabe... but Gabriel.. to help try to prevent that to some degree. We've talked to the other Gabriel's in my family and they said they got the GAY thing a little bit... but honestly... it gets old quickly and they don't care and it doesnt bother them. Also with all the TOLERANCE that is being taught in todays youngest generation, maybe it wont be as bad for him as it is for those of the older generations? Plus we've talked about setting our child down before school age and preparing him for things people might say and give him some ways to handle and cope with it, so he isnt caught off guard. We love our child, even though they arent here yet, and want whats best for them.

Is there any hope for us keeping the name Gabriel, or am i just fooling myself? Comments please?

#2 Jen Elizabeth

Jen Elizabeth

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that. Gabriel is a gorgeous, handsome name, but of course, it does come with it's faults. I, for one, completely understand the Gabe= Gay thing and honestly, it's bound to happen. Kids will be kids and all that junk. However, I didn't really associate anything bad with the last name until you pointed it out. To be completely frank, the kids who would make fun of a child for their name probably don't have enough brain cells to piece it all together.

That's just my opinion and I think you should go for it! It's a great name, and if it's your favorite, why should you have to worry what other people may think?

#3 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

I totally agree with Jen! Everybody's (probably) going to get teased at some point in their life, regardless of their name. And I agree that the kids don't have enough brain cells to put it all together! :P

I say, if you really love Gabriel, then go ahead and use it! (It's my absolute favorite boy's name, too - that's a plus :))

#4 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

I have NEVER heard of anyone calling a boy "Gay" because his name is Gabriel. It never even crossed my mind!

#5 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:57 PM

I agree, I think it's highly unlikely it will be a problem.

I love the name. I think it's cute.

From experience with a friend (who has it as his middle name) he hates it, but that is because he believes it is too close to Gabrielle and he is always saying "It's a girls' name".

But I don't think it is. It is very much a boy's name.

#6 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

I knew one Gabe all through school and I'd never heard or would have thought of Gabe = Gay. I dont really see the problem. If you Lovett the name :), then go for it.

#7 Aliame

Aliame

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Guys...

As a parent, you try to think of all the scenarios.. so you can do what's best for your kid.

And yes... WE TOTALLY LOVE IT!!!!!!

Gabriel is here to stay.

#8 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hahah I love it. (;
I think it shouldn't pose a problem, and if it does, deal with it then!

I think Gabriel Lovett is a VERY handsome name!!

#9 Pandora

Pandora

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

I think it's a lovely name.If you want to keep it it and have a girl then an alternative could be Gabrielle or Gabriella.

#10 Andreuh

Andreuh

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Worship<br />Music<br />Coffee<br />Movies<br />Food<br />Shopping

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

I may be a little bias but I am naming my first born son Atticus so how about Atticus Gabriel??

#11 Aliame

Aliame

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

ROTFL I hear ya,

But my husband is barely allowing Atticus as a middle name. Over his dead body will it be a first name -lol got to love our SO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users