• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,888 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

So, I have a few names that I've been falling in love with a few names lately. The only problem is some associations :/

I do love some biblical names, but if they are too biblical I try to steer away, mainly for the less fortunate happenings from childhood that are related to church and the bible and all...

So, do you think I can use these names without having associations to the Bible as the prominent thought to them?

Delilah
Eden

Elijah
Eve
Evangeline

Gideon
Jonah
Noah

Tabitha

What do you think?

#2 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Delilah: Okay name. Nms but it's a good name.
Eden: A little trendy for me.
Elijah: Love it. I have it on my list.
Eve: Not bad. I don't automatically think Biblical.
Evangeline: a little old for my taste but not bad. I like the nn Eve or Evie.
Gideon: Love it. First name I fell in love with.
Jonah: Too close to Jonas which is close the Jonas Brothers for my taste.
Noah: Nice. Getting to be kinda popular where I live.
Tabitha: Totally ruined for me because of a girl at school.

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

I think most of them are frequently used these days that the whole biblical association on some is disappearing. Unfortunately, I think most of people wouldn't associate it with the Bible anymore.

But it's up to you. If you're hesitant to use it, then I'd stay away from them

#4 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Delilah: The biblical reference still sticks in my head with this name. My best friend growing up LOVED the name.
Eden: Though biblical, I don't automatically think that. I love this name.
Elijah: I think Elijah Wood.
Eve: I think the rapper/singer Eve.
Evangeline: I think of Princess and the Frog.
Gideon: I think of Scott Pilgrim.
Jonah: Jonah Hill.
Noah: LOVE this name! I don't automatically associate biblical.
Tabitha: Bewitched.

So, most I don't associate with biblical. They are known enough that it isn't going to be the first thing that comes to mind. Unless you go with that theme.

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Delilah - I love the sound of Delilah. I know that it is a biblical name, but it isn't the first thing I think of. Actually I think more about the dog in Homeward Bound 2 because I named one of my dogs after her. :wub: I really like Delilah.
Eden - Eden to me is a very modern name, and since it doesn't have the history of use as a "biblical name" even though it is derived from the bible...I don't necessarily associate it as a "biblical name" I associate it more with names like Caden and Jayden.
Elijah - I definiely associate Elijah as a biblical name, however I don't think that is such a big deal when it comes to the more commonly used biblical names...same with Noah.
Eve - Eh. I'm on the fence with this one. Evelyn nn Eve or Evie wouldn't be "biblical" to me, but Eve...
Evangeline - Evangeline is biblical?! :wub: lol.
Gideon - Like Delilah, I don't think about the biblical connection first.
Jonah - I definitely think about the biblical connection first on this name, and since Jonah isn't as common as Elijah or Noah, I would automatically assume that the parents were religious. However, I think this is an adorable name, and even though I am non-religious I would still use it.
Tabitha - I think of Tabitha's solon make over and my friends older sister who is named Tabitha. I don't think of the bible first off. However, I not a huge fan of this name.

#6 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Delilah: I like it! It's definitely growing on me.
Eden: NMS. Personally, I think the Biblical connection is a little too strong.
Elijah: NMS, but still a nice name.
Eve: I prefer Eva, but Eve is still really pretty.
Evangeline: NMS, but it's really nice... and it's a great alternative to Eve / Eva / Evie.
Gideon: I really don't like this name, sorry!
Jonah: Nice, I like it.
Noah: Very handsome. Perfect for a little boy and a grown man.
Tabitha: Don't like this one, sorry. Reminds me of a tabby cat for some reason... :wub:

Personally, I think Delilah, Elijah, Eve, Evangeline, Jonah, and Noah are all useable.

#7 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Delilah - I love Delilah! And sure, the biblical reference is there, but it's not one of those names I immediately think "BIBLE" for.

Eden - I agree with Katie on this one, and the fact that it's become so trendy sort of takes the idea of it away.

Elijah - This is one I DO think "biblical!" for, but it's not a bad thing.. Though I tend to like biblical names. Agree with Ash though, Elijah Wood does come to mind!

Eve - Okay, so the first thing that comes to mind is "Adam & Eve", but it's so stunning and much more common than you think, so I'm sure that's not with everyone.

Evangeline - Reminds me of "Evangeline Lilly", Kate from Lost and I do think "Evangelist". Probably the most biblical of these, for me. It's lovely and became quite popular for a while.

Gideon - I love this one. It makes me think of Gideon from Charmed, which I'm not so sure is a good reference, but I love it nonetheless. However, the brilliant reference I can ALSO make, is Jason Gideon from Criminal Minds. Now, there's a dude I'd name my kid after!

Jonah - Makes me think of Jonas, but I like it much more. Joe is a cute nickname.

Noah - Love love love. Noah's ark and Noah and the Whale are what I think of when I heart it. But you know my love for it... so! :wub:

Tabitha - Not a fan. Abby's a cute nickname though. DOES remind me of Bewitched though, which I personally think is a good thing.

My favourites are in bold. {Delilah, Elijah, Eve, Gideon and Noah} ♥

#8 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Gideon - I love this one. It makes me think of Gideon from Charmed, which I'm not so sure is a good reference, but I love it nonetheless. However, the brilliant reference I can ALSO make, is Jason Gideon from Criminal Minds. Now, there's a dude I'd name my kid after!

THATS what Gideon reminds me of. Charmed! I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks Yas!

#9 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

So, I have a few names that I've been falling in love with a few names lately. The only problem is some associations :/

I do love some biblical names, but if they are too biblical I try to steer away, mainly for the less fortunate happenings from childhood that are related to church and the bible and all...

So, do you think I can use these names without having associations to the Bible as the prominent thought to them?

Delilah
Eden

Elijah
Eve
Evangeline

Gideon
Jonah
Noah

Tabitha

What do you think?

Honestly? This might just be because I've never been to church. But I wouldn't have thought these were all biblical names if you didn't say they were. The only ones I probably would have POSSIBLY picked up on are Eden and Eve. But not in a bad way. So, I'm probably not much help. But especially Delilah, I don't think you have to worry about them having a biblical association. That's just my opinion though.

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,888 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Evangeline - Evangeline is biblical?! :wub: lol.

Jonah - I definitely think about the biblical connection first on this name, and since Jonah isn't as common as Elijah or Noah, I would automatically assume that the parents were religious. However, I think this is an adorable name, and even though I am non-religious I would still use it.

Evangeline isnt used in the bible. But Evangelical Christians are like a type of christians <3

And thats exactly what i was afraid of on Jonah! <3

#11 Ninan

Ninan

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

Delilah - I like the name but could never use it because I think "Samson & ..."
Eden - I think "trendy name" before I think "Biblical name"
Elijah - Frodo :wub:
Gideon - Biblical